elf on the shelf : a love story

So our little elf on the shelf has literally crash landed with a vengeance returned this year.

This is Gindy’s third year with us. He arrived a little early… I guess that’s what happens when you need something to threaten them with because they’re bouncing off the walls like little psychopaths the kids request his presence. Mom and dad are just hoping they can keep up with his shenanigans, and we thought we’d document his activities this year.

{If I’m being totally honest, this dude has always creeped me out a little. I mean, what if I woke up in the middle of the night and he was standing over me? What if he bit my neck? Yes, that is my thought process. The possibilities for creepy activities are kind of endless. But digression. The things you do for love. He’s slowly grown on me a little.}

This year, we thought it would be fun to document his crazy activities. The look on the kids’ faces every morning is priceless.┬áThis is basically what happens when an elf comes to stay with a DIY kinda family.

Emerson has always wanted a “gurl elf” (sometimes, I think being the only girl in the fam makes her feel a little left out) so this is our latest development at the Mills hizzy. Meet Rose-named per Emerson. Isn’t she cute? I like her earrings. She has some rocking style and I can already tell we’re going to be tight. (Unless she’s a vampire.) I think Gindy has a major crush. He also has some mad skillz. Apparently Gindy is a big fan of some great brands, so we now have something to bond over. Unless he comes after us with the saw… The saw is still a little creepy.

Have an amazing. elf filled kinda day everyone!

This entry was posted in confessions and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to elf on the shelf : a love story

1. Janet L says:

I love this it’s absolutely hysterical. Thanks for the laugh this morning

2. Layla K says:

I am so glad to know I’m not the only one who slightly fears the elf. I needed the chuckle thanks!

3. JT says:

I’m actually filing this one away for later. We just had a little girl in a household full of boys so I think this is ingenious. How great!

4. Hmm, Gindy does seem to be making “cow eyes” at Rose, does he not? No wonder, she is adorable. She doesn’t look displeased at the attention, either. Have you considered the possibility of an Elf wedding, and perhaps an army of Elfettes running around your house in the middle of the night? Hopefully, not with tools. Your family is the only one I know of that has a pair of Elfs, so I have no idea what the courting protocol is. Perhaps they have very long engagements. I wonder how many Elfettes are in a litter? Do they have litters? Perhaps it would be a single birth. Oh, dear, you have given me so much to think about. I really must google Elfs and get answers to all my questions!

5. Michelle says:

I LOVE Gindy’s escapades!!! I too am keeping a photo history of our Elf’s, Coco Sprinkles, adventures this year. I am thinking about making a little picture book for the kids at the end of Christmastime this year:) I think I just might have to make a girlie addition here as well. My Ava is a little overwhelmed with all the boys here:) Thanks for the thought!

6. Stefani says:

What a great post! I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds the elf just a little creepy, but like you? I’ve sucked it up for the kids & my sanity! :) Great idea-thanks so much for sharing!

7. caroline says:

thats hilarious. ive always been creeped out by him too! but at the same time, it looks like a lot of fun.

maybe by the time i have children there will be less creepy versions. like gingy 2.0

8. How cute! I love how they built a little home for themselves. But the parachute is definitely my favorite thus far!

9. The way Gindy’s leaning in toward Rose cracks me up. I love it!

10. Brittany says:

Here is a random question: I was talking to my husband about getting excited to jump on the Elf on the Shelf bandwagon and he totally shot me down! : ) He was worried that it would take away from the real meaning of Christmas. So I’ve been trying to figure out a way to do the elf (next year maybe) and have it tie in to Christ instead of Santa. Any suggestions??
    I love your blog and stalk–er, read you daily : ) And I LOVE your ideas! You are officially my decor inspiration!

• Hey! That’s actually a good question. We’re working hard to discuss this daily with our children-the reason we do it, etc. Santa seems to swallow it, regardless. I saw an advent calendar on pinterest today, where each day the child gets to open something having to do with a verse from the bible regarding Christ’s birth and and item to go with it. Our elf brings things to our kids every morning. Why can’t he bring that? It takes some more work, but it’s kind of a nice way to tie it all together. OR just do an advent calendar, as well. Or both. ;} Hope that helps. We’ve been working on this as well. Stay tuned…that little elf house Gindy built is about to turn into a manger. ;}

11. Moxie Lisa says:

I thought I was the only one who found those elves creepy…that saw photo is just confirming things for me! lol

12. Pingback: a very merry christmas | the handmade home