beyond the walls

On Monday, I felt like Lucy. You know. When she stepped through the wardrobe and entered into Narnia for the first time.

We’ve lived in our home for 5 years.

Around our home, is a bit of untamed wilderness. It’s a charming little residential setup, surrounded by woods, and it can take you by surprise if you’re not prepped and ready. We’ve had encounters with deer, sometimes seeing gigantic bucks right outside our own front door. Snakes, cyotes, turtles, owls, opossums, gargantuan field mice, plagues of frogs, rando birds, caterpillar swarms, lady bug invasions, rabbits, and a few mystery visitors we still haven’t quite pegged. And on very rare occasions some that must immediately die.¬†You get the picture. It’s quite the wildlife adventure at times.

Across the street from us, is an open park. And diagonally, is a densely wooded area.

The other day while taking a walk, we decided to be random, take the kids, and walk down a little secluded trail we’d always noticed but never paid much attention to.

We’ve been too busy going about our daily routines with babes in arms…surviving. This trail is directly across from our home, so that from the other side, once you’ve walked through it, our house is the first one that you see.

What we thought was a small trail which led to a small field…

Was a piece of old farmland divided by an old road. Which has now grown up…

Which led to taller grass, and a bigger field, in an area as large as the eye can see.

We startled white tailed deer who quickly leapt out of our way as quickly as they’d appeared. And flocks of geese who flew so dangerously low, we could almost reach up and touch them.

And then we saw from a distance, what we thought was a small pond.

And as we came closer, realized it was a beautiful old quarry, filled to the brim with crystal clear water.

We sat and enjoyed the stillness. And skipped rocks. And giggled and played. I not-so- secretly wondered if there was a gigantic alligator just beneath the surface, waiting for one of us to dangle our feet into the water, because most of the time, my nerdy worst case scenario mind goes there.

And in the golden remnants of sun, we walked back home.

And I realized something that day. I was completely dumbfounded that our own little Narnia was just beyond a few simple trees. That we had been missing out, living our little suburban life for all these years, nestled safely, so focused on the temporary, literally contained by our walls.

Sometimes, it’s good to look beyond ourselves.

We never really know what we might be missing.

Here’s to hoping you reach beyond your comfort zones this weekend. Whether it’s speaking to a stranger behind you in line, or paying a little more attention to everything around you…you just never know what you might find.

Happy glorious Friday everyone-enjoy it!

This entry was posted in confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to beyond the walls

1. Sarah says:

Wow what a beautiful discovery! I’m sure you’ll be making that little adventure more often now :)

2. Mandi says:

Where did you find that at in Montgomery?! Amazing!

3. Michelle says:

That was beautiful Ashley! It makes me wonder what lovely things are around me, and haven’t discovered them yet. I would love to have a quiet place like that to unwind and decompress with my fam. Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibilities! Your photos are so charming! What did you do to give them that golden vintage vibe?

4. Our discovery this week wasn’t nearly as beautiful, but after living in our home we just discovered a park three and a half blocks from us. We never drive that way so it’s not surprising that we missed it. Such a fun discovery right in our backyard! Enjoy your beauty-it’s incredible! I have to say I’m a little jealous!

5. Erica says:

Thank you for the inspiration. We just moved to our new home a few months ago and I am dying to see what is around us, beyond our typical route to and fro the grocery store and school. With my foot in a cast and 4 kids itching to explore, we are going to hop in the car and drive until our little hearts are filled with God’s beauty. Maybe we will even come home with some new decor that only nature can provide. And off we go…….

6. reni says:

thanks for sharing your wonderful…discovered…hidden treasure. you’ve reminded me that if we just take a peak out of our everyday grind…we will find incredible surprises and beauty in our own backyard! it is friday…and it is glorious…THANK YOU!

7. We have a park in our neighborhood that we can walk to, too. One end has a big playground, but the other end is all wooded with a pretty path that winds through the woods and crosses a creek. Much to our surprise, the opens up into this huge secluded field surrounded by woods! We call it “the secret meadow,” and my kiddos like to run around and have secret picnics there. Enjoy you secret meadow as much as you possibly can! Those places are so special!

8. Renee says:

What a great day ! and your pictures are Beautiful! what filter/script do you apply to them?

• Hi Renee! Thank you! It’s only photos from our phone. It was all we had that day because we weren’t expecting such an adventure. ;} I pulled them into instagram, then loaded them on my desktop and used photoshop with type {Romeral} brought in from illustrator. I just adjusted the opacity. I hope that helps?

9. Kim says:

What a lovely Friday post :) thanks

10. Sandra says:

This is going to sound corny {or crazy} – I got a little choked up viewing your post- I love those kind of days…

11. so pretty. I love surprising jaunts. wish out little woods was as pretty as yours….

12. Trixie says:

Great pictures! I have had a similar experience with my family in our home. You never know what is right around the corner. I love still being surprised as an adult. Keep exploring!

13. Pingback: giant killer mutant pythons, holes to china, and haven. | the handmade home

14. susan savage says:

Wow thank you it was just what I needed to hear. Our adoption of our grand daughter just was finalized after 3 plus years and I have been trying or over trying to make her life :perfect and have all the “things” I am over it i am doing more with her as opposed buying things for her, So I thank you for sharing .