playroom reveal

Hello sweet friends! We’re back today with our playroom reveal… if you’re dropping by from Gina @ The Shabby Creek Cottage, it’s so good to have you with us today! Isn’t it the best when you have a great friend you can bounce ideas off of? Be sure to drop by and check out her inspiration board on how you can get a little of this look. ;} You’re gonna love it!

playroom_redo_1Even though we started this summer, this space took us a while. We were a bit sidetracked by life in general, and this space had a lot involved in building than we originally thought it would. We were anxious to get it all put back together, to make my life a little easier in the land of all things children and home schooling.

If you remember our original space, it was great. We loved it. But the kids were getting bigger, and we needed a little more than a play kitchen and a sitting area for coloring. Not only did a we need a place for reading + lounging while watching a good movie (we were tired of duking it out over Peppa Pig when the Auburn football game was on) but it was time for some major storage. We’ve purged and simplified so many things, and we love the solution we came up with for actually organizing, and helping them see what they really have. You guys are about to get photo overload, and we apologize in advance. There was just a lot to this space, detail-wise and we wanted to cover it all. So here we go!

playroom_rug

y'all_art

We decided to invest in a little seating area that will actually grow with them. We considered a sofa, but realized this was so versatile and we can change the shape if we need to, or even add to it or reupholster if the need arises. It’s comfy for mom and dad, too, and we want this to last well into their teenage years.

playroom_reveal

We built this shelving unit, so that they can not only see books and toys at a glance, but it keeps them corralled in a practical manner. Life with kids can be crazy and the clutter alone can make you feel like you’re completely overwhelmed. We not only want this space to be somewhere that they can gather to play board games and watch movies, but a great reading area for their home schooling as well. From the classics, to the comics to the magazines we subscribe to for educational purposes, we want more than anything to instill a love for reading in our children and we believe that starts with a great array of literature and easy access.

trucks

gumball_machine_vintage

That’s a bowl full of antique toy tops on the shelf… another flea market score next to an old gumball machine (formerly known as a potty training bribery system with all three children – even though the youngest one still isn’t quiiiiittteee there…) And remember our puzzle? Make your own here!

entertainment_center

Of course we wanted bold, fun colors. So I created this painting that just felt very us. I have a life long weakness for watercolors, and we built a frame to accentuate the art.

small_sofa

Major special thanks to Online Fabric Store for the amazing fabrics they provided. I have more specific sources coming up soon, but be sure to check out their gorgeous selections and drool-worthy assortment on their site.

fabric_online_fabric_store

presidents

I have a real weakness for vintage books. These were a local flea market find (for about ten dollars!) And one of my favorite parts of the space. They smell like old books from my grandmother’s house and that makes me happy.

monsters

finger_puppets

brass_labels

book_shelves

I was a total bookworm growing up, and loved Nancy Drew. I read all of my mom’s old collection. We can’t find hers, but I’ve started my own of Nancy + I’m hoping to begin some Hardy Boys, as well. Things like that are so fun to burden my children with hand down when they’re older… little family heirlooms.

playspace playroom_toys

toys

handmade_shelving

If you remember from this summer, we decided to knock out the wall in the two closets dividing up the space between the playroom + the boys’ space.

basket_light

They call it their secret passageway, and couldn’t be happier. I’ve never seen three children more fascinated with a closet.

barn_doors

closet

You can read more about our toy boxes here. And even our ‘kitchen’ got a fresh face with  more white paint.

closet_wall_removed closet_organization
boys_room_barn_doors

vintage_train vintage_paper_dolls vintage_books_golden_hen

playroom_redo

We have a sources post coming up soon, and lots of tutorials to explain everything…

studio

as well as our sources post for our studio reveal. It just feels so good to have our spaces back for the kids. So stay tuned if you have any questions! Thanks for dropping buy guys, and as always, have an inspired day!

Pssst – view our sources post here!

This entry was posted in bungalow revamps, sneak peek and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to playroom reveal

1. Debbie says:

Hi! I came over from Gina’s! Love your playroom! The toys storage is awesome, and I love the way you connected the two rooms. Great job. That seating is a really good idea for kids, they love to sprawl all over and it looks perfect for that!

2. Danielle says:

Wow! That space is amazing! Great job!

3. I’ve not been furniture shopping in a while (other than thrift/junk stores!) – does that ‘sofa’ move apart? It appears to be individual units that can be separated or combined into one sofa – is that right? I love it! That is a great piece of furniture! (or pieces of furniture).

4. I LOVE everything about this room! WOW! Where did you get your barn door track?

5. Denise says:

I LOVE this space!! You guys did an awesome job!!

6. Kelsey Cafferky says:

Seriously in love!!!!! Can’t wait for the source post! Is that an IKEA expedit that you hacked?!? Swoon! You guys are so freakishly talented and I’m SO copying you on the Y’all painting!! Love times a billion!

7. Ashley! This is amazing!!! Quick question–adopt me?! ;) I would never leave that room! The colors, the organization, oh my! Seriously. Hands down the BEST playroom transformation I’ve seen! Scheduling this to be shared on my FB page today!

8. Dirose says:

That is one beautiful playroom. Lucky kids!

9. susan says:

Wow! You did a fantastic job! You’re so creative, it’s inspiring!

10. Gen says:

Wow, it looks so fun and inviting, and the perfect kids space! Love your Yall art, can’t wait for the tutorial on that (hopefully!) Also love the green rug in the closet space, so gorgeous! Will be perusing your sources once you post them! Enjoy your new spaces for me!

11. Beautiful! I love the blue walls and I love vintage children’s books too. Great job!

12. sally says:

really love the seating area. Are you going to have more info about sourcing??

13. sally says:

really love the seating area. Are you going to have more info about sourcing??

14. Sara says:

that arrow on the wall is gorgeous!

15. krys72599 says:

I’m 52 and still have my entire Bobbsey Twins collection at my mom’s house. After a bit of downsizing and purging, they will be relocated to my home….

16. Love this! and I can’t get past that sofa…very unique.

17. Amy W says:

Wow. This was well worth the wait! What a stunning room. I love all the bright colorful pillows on the “sofa”. The built-ins, well what can I say… stunning! I love the small pops of gold all around the room. The sliding doors are amazing, too. Wonderful, wonderful job. Thanks for sharing with us!

18. Danielle says:

Wow – that looks fabulous. Can believe that is the same room. Your house is such an inspiration. Can you come to New Zealand and do our house for us ;P

19. Elizabeth says:

just when your house couldn’t get any ‘cuter’ or connivenant for living..it does! :) love it

20. This looks amazing. I love how colorful everything is. What a lovely room!!! I love that lamp!

21. Nicole W. says:

I would love an expose on remodeling/decorating/project-ing with kids on hand! I have some unfinished projects and kids always at home–how do you do it?!

22. Kari says:

Just a quick question : when you make pillows, do you prefer to use foes or just poly fill to stuff them?

23. Jennifer says:

IM so excited for the tutorials! and I love vintage books too. My husband sometimes looks at me like Im a crazy person when I come home with a stack of vintage books. :) btw I love all your humor!

24. laura says:

Oh my gosh! This is hands down the coolest playroom I have EVER seen! I am so in love with all the details and the colors! I plan to look at it a few more times so I can take it all in!! Great great work!!

Laura
    House Envy

25. Tiffany says:

Beautiful!

26. Jenn Zaruka says:

Hi Ashley! I found you a little while ago and love so much of what you do. I am super excited for your source list. Looking forward to learning more about those cool barn doors. Also, love the “Y’all” artwork. Being a girl from Georgia, now living in Southern California, anything “y’all” makes me smile. Come visit if you’re ever out this way?

27. Cecilia says:

Amazing! Love all the color and the vintage things -they make the space really pop. I love old books too; if I find ones I loved as a child I buy them. I like the ‘secret’ passageway too. What fun!

28. Absolute perfection! Can’t wait to hear more about that couch!

29. Pingback: Centsational Girl » Blog Archive » BOTB 10.25.13

30. Tristin Rieken says:

I’m loving your playroom- no surprise there I love everything you guys do! I’ve been looking for a graphic black and white rug and I love the one in your playroom. Please include info when you post your sources. Thanks!!

31. beautiful playroom! Where did you find/buy the colorful houndstooth throw on the sofa?

32. C.C. says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! WHere did you get your fabulous rug? That is exactly what I had in mind for our playroom but can’t seem to find! And the basket pendant light? Please share! :-)

33. Pingback: Weekend Reflections - Up to Date Interiors

34. Christy Sudderth says:

Love all of your ideas. I especially like the barn door style doors. Where did you find the hardware for these? I would love to duplicate them.

35. Could you let me know where that “y’all” print/painting is from? I LOVE it!

36. Katie says:

ADORE!!!
    Where did you get that “y’all” print?! Must. Have. ;)
    Thanks!

37. Wow…I LOVE that color blue on the walls! So striking! Such a fun and creative space!!

38. Love it! Saw it earlier but never commented and had to come back and say “wow.” I’m a huge fan of your “old” style but I love the evolving style as well!! Still Ashley & Jamin but with an edge.

I love the whole closet thing- you guys have really maxed out your house to get the most of your space. So awesome. Of course I also love the overall look – the painting, rug, built-ins, etc!!

P.S. I like your studio too!!
    P.S. Where did you get the sofa?? JUST KIDDING. :)

39. Dee Henderson says:

I love the “y’all” sign! Where did you get it? Did you make it? Please share! Thank you & I enjoy your site!

40. Pingback: playroom resources | the handmade home

41. Ashley says:

Hi there!
    You mentioned you made your shelling unit, including the ones under the tv? Will you have a tutorial for that?

42. Pingback: diy watercolor art | the handmade home

43. Pingback: ryobi airstrike gun giveaway! | the handmade home

44. Pingback: the handmade home holiday home tour | the handmade home

45. Karley says:

What is the name of the wall color? I”m in love with it!

46. WOW, that pretty much summs it up! Amazing space, great details

47. Pingback: diy toy storage cubbies | the handmade home

48. Betsy says:

Hi – I just ran across yous site from pinterest. I love your new playroom! I’m curious if you can share your source for the yellow metal pendant light with the star cutouts from your old playroom? It’s really adorable! Thanks so much!

• Hey Betsy! That is an old lamp from PB kids from years ago. It was once a barn red, and I painted it yellow. You may be able to snag one on Ebay if you keep your eyes peeled! I don’t think they carry it anymore. I hope that helps! ;}

49. Laura says:

Hello,
    Love the playroom and especially the PBT sectional. I’m curious of the color. Is it cement, light grey suede, or another color. Thank you!!

50. Monnaie says:

stunning! Colorful interior designing, looking cute and stylish, Nice interior decoration and interior furnishing too!

51. Valerie says:

Where did you get the couch sectionals for your seating area? I love them. I myself have a small room I am trying to redesign and these would be ideal!

Thank you.