aiden turns 6!

I really can’t believe …

…That this little baldy is six.

The other day, I had a stain on some clothes, and was standing in the laundry room. He watched me for a moment, and then said oh so matter of factly, “Mommy. Don’t you know that Oxiclean is the best?”

One afternoon, Emerson was expressing her strong dislike for boys in the back seat of the car. When I asked her why, she said it was because they were always trying to kiss her. Aiden suddenly piped up, and told her that when she grows up, she will trade rings with someone, get married and move away. When I asked him why he wanted to move away, he made a last ditch effort to comfort me: “Don’t worry mommy. I’ll come visit on business.”

He starts kindergarten {he actually did get into a great school-a total God thing for which we are thankful} this upcoming Monday. He’s stoked, and I may have to take a mental health day. You can find me on the couch in my pajamas after dropping him off. With a tub of Double Fudge Brownie ice cream.

For his birthday, we decided to have a {loosely themed} lego party. He also wanted it to be a water party, so it kind of evolved into this rando mix of legos and pirates. More of a water party with legos, however.

Yeah. It was one of those laid back parties, where I was inspired by an invite on pinterest, and made my own version, baked a few cupcakes, threw a water thingy in the middle of a playground, ordered some pizza and watched as mass chaos ensued. It’s about all you can do with 6 year old boys: just make sure they’re having fun. {And let go of perfection.}

Anyone recognize that flag? It’s leftover from this.

About fifteen of Aiden’s best buddies attended. So mass chaos, it was.
Yesterday morning, of course, we had our trad Mills birthday pancakes.
And here we are. With a six year old. When did that happen? Life goes by much too quickly.
What’s your idea of successful party? What’s your fave you’ve attended or thrown?

This entry was posted in photo momento and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to aiden turns 6!

1. Laura says:

Oh wow. Aiden is 6. Why does that sound so much older than 5?? Happy birthday, little man!
    Side note: WHERE did you rent that big inflatable water thingie? That is awesome!

2. Karen says:

When my daughter was in 1st grade, she really wanted a “Wizard of Oz” themed birthday party. But she also REALLY wanted to go bowling. So we combined them, and had her friends come dressed as their favorite character from the movie (my daughter was Dorothy, of course!) and we all went bowling. It was one the best parties ever!!

3. Kara says:

That big water thing looks like so much fun! And I love Emerson’s pajamas, btw. :)

4. What a wonderful guy you have there!

My youngest son, Lee, had a LEGO party for his sixth birthday, too, with 15 party guests. That was back before blogs and Pinterest, so I was on my own. . .but it was one of our best parties ever. And LEGO wasn’t a passing fad for him–he’s now known as “LegoLee329″ on YouTube. :)

Good luck on the first day of school!

5. Tiffany says:

When my oldest turned 7, we had an American Girl party. I ordered the little birthday kit, and it made for a beautiful tablescape. Still my favorite party. She is now 15! Talk about time flying by…

6. Dorothy says:

Happy birthday wishes to all! And happy kindergarten too.

7. Teegan says:

Awesome, awesome! (and I cannot even begin to think about my three going to school… I still have two years, so I can only imagine your empty box(es) of tissue next Monday!
    Each year for our kiddos birthdays, we pick a charity based on local need or a theme close to our kiddos personalities. One year it was raising books for a local Children’s Hospital, or stuffed animals for firemen to hand out to little ones who’s houses caught fire. This September 11th, my littlest lady turns 2. Her charity this year is a little man named Cameron who was diagnosed with Cancer one week after he turned two. His Mama is an old school friend of mine and the entire family has been through so much. Jennifer (the Mama) also had twin boys 6 months after finding out about Cameron’s cancer. (Yes, they have FOUR boys!!) They are the most incredible family and we thought we would gather some coloring books, crayons, cash and creative fun for Cameron to do in the Hospital. He is now three years old and is starting a new round of treatment this week. We hope our kiddos can grow up knowing that as much as we absolutely cherish and celebrate the day they were born, we can use that one special day to make a difference to others too.
    XOXO

8. jami nato says:

awesome party! my son just asked me why we weren’t invited. i was like, well…we don’t know them. LOL