spooled.

This weekend in Nashville, we were able to venture out into flea market land, and while we were there, I spied some of these amazingly old industrial spools. I’ve been searching for just the right kind, and the price was right at a mere 5 dollars per spool. {Everything I’ve spied in the past has been around 15-ish…so score for us!} I picked up three, and now I wish I’d grabbed more because I’m greedy and these are fun.

I love all the fun colors these came in, and it really got me thinking about how fun they are as sit-abouts around the home, and why I love vintage spools. I think they take me back to my childhood. But in whatever form they are, they’re a great little addition to have around the home.

There’s just something about those vintage labels,

And those awesome rolls of seemingly fresh goodness make a great, clustered collection.

In their larger forms, they make great furniture in unexpected places.

And even nautical little side tables.

Stunning in a collection

As a great book collector…

Lovely in a garland…

Or in a kitchen.

In a casual grouping on a charming coffee table…Swoon.

This just may be the most adorable banner I’ve ever seen.

Clever little place holders…

And more adorable garlands…can I have that window?

I could eat this table.

In the meantime, I can’t seem to get enough of this lamp…and I’m thinking that Emerson’s room needs just the thing…And I have just the materials. Sans that 3%#! price tag. ;}

What have you guys done recently with some spool-age in your lives? I’d love to see!

Have an inspired day, everyone!

This entry was posted in eye candy, popular posts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to spooled.

1. Laura D. says:

I am so glad you posted this! I hadn’t ever really even thought about old spools as decorative, but they are adorable. My grandmother gave me her old sewing set a while ago, and it includes several old vintage spools that would be so cute set out somewhere! Thanks for the idea :)

2. WOW! great score :) Love your photos.. and all the other ones you shared… perfect thing to look at while drinking coffee this morning :) Thanks for sharing ~Bre

3. Ali Thompson says:

i have never seen so many uses for the spool! the garland, table numbers, lamp…eek!
    want. it. all

4. So cute, I am really lovin the spool thing too! So many great things to do with them. The banners rock. Thanks for sharing…

5. Emelyn says:

I’ve never thought of spools as decor, but I’m totally inspired. Thanks for sharing this!

6. I use small vintage wooden spools to wrap mini bunting around…I sell them in my etsy shop, A Cottage Life! I love those industrial ones you found…so cool and great price!

7. kristi says:

you were in Nashville?! we moved to the Nashville area last summer and I still have no idea where the best flea markets and thrift stores are! do share where you went! please please and thank you! :)

• Hey! I can probably get my sis in law to do a complete list, if you want, but I’m talking about the big flea market, they have once a month, on the full and last weekend of the month, on the fairgrounds. This may help.

• kristi says:

if she wouldn’t mind, that would be awesome! thank you so much! and if she can’t, tell her not to worry- being seven months preggo is tiring enough by itself!

8. Jaime Scott says:

I love spools! I painted one white and use it as a side table between two of my living room chairs. Here’s the link if you wanna see http://www.jaimescott.blogspot.com/2012/05/living-room-chair-update.html?m=1

9. Mimi says:

I just saw a bin full of them for $2 each. Now I have been inspired to make a lamp! Thank you!

10. Megan Brooke says:

I live in Nashville and love the flea market! I forgot it was this past weekend.

Love all the spools you found! Did you find them at one of the booths outside or was it one of the ones inside?

• Hey Megan! This booth was actually kind of a dud compared to the ones of months past…even though I did get some great finds. ;} I found these in the middle outside part, across from the tin man, if that makes any sense. let me know if it helps! If not, I can describe it a little better…I think. ;}

11. Angela says:

Great idea for decorating! I’ve never thought to use spools. I especially love the garland!

12. Kelly Weston says:

My father-in-law is a lineman and has access to those huge cable spools that they just throw away, so I asked for him to grab me one and make a table (exactly like the one you picture with the books – from Country Living Magazine). It’s great! I haven’t painted it as I kind of like the industrial look it adds to the room (ie. random numbers written across it!).

13. Jenny says:

When I was six or so , some of those huge industrial spools showed up in my school playground. Donated, I suppose, but for what purpose I’ll never know. Anyway, we turned them up so they would roll, sat in the middle and rolled all over the playground, lifting our little bottoms up as we pushed the outside edges forward. I remember it being the oddest, most enjoyable kind of play.

14. sylvie says:

superbes photos, très jolies décos, Magnifique !