how to organize kids’ clothing

This year, as all things go in the world of good intentions and Auld Lang Syne, I’ve decided that first and foremost, I need help.

When it comes to keeping the Mount Vesuviuses of laundry in check, and the kids’ clothes in check, and everything regarding clothing in general…in check – I think my head might explode because nothing really is in check, and I need a plan. It’s one of the things I struggle with the most. So I decided to start a system.

organize_your_clothes

I sat down (like the total nerd) and decided it was time to have a few labels for our kiddos’ clothing.

childrens_clothing_labels

I thought about all the ways to organize their clothes: Shirts, skirts, dresses, coats, short sleeve, long sleeve, swimsuits… and just about everything else in between.

And after designing, printing + cutting them out, I put each little label in one of these. – You could also laminate them but these were on hand and easy and PS. I don’t have a laminator. {I’m considering getting one… any tips? Do you love it? I think I would be plasticcoatedhappyaddicted all up in here.}

And then I took some of that fancy washi tape and made a little frame around it. You could use these in your closet for shirts…

clothing_organization_kids

On the outside of a cabinet to keep up with clothes…

organize_your_familys_clothesOr a basket for all those hard-to-locate, little things.

organize_your_kids_clothes

For storage, organization, or even full on display… The possibilities for use are kind of endless all depending on how your household works.

free_clothing_labels

Here’s how I’m using them:

On the inside of their drawers, they know where the labels are located.

how_to_organize_clothes

And they know which drawers are for what.

So when it’s time to help mommy put the laundry away – which let’s be honest… it’s half the battle – there will be no more “But where does it go-itis” I suddenly have a slew of elves to help me about my business. Tada! It’s just magical, y’all. (That, and a little chocolate bribery never hurt anyone in the land of chores because we all know they’ll complain anyway.)

Oh and ps… now we have help with those sight words and all things everyday household clothing options.

kids_clothing_organized

I tried to think of every little category I could think of, for boys and girls. And I have them here today for you. For free. They work for our family, and they just might for yours, too. They don’t include everything, but it’s lots of fun, bright options! Just click on the pages, and they should cut nicely off of an 8 x 10 in one fail swoop to be used in any way you like. Tags are 3.75 x 2.5 in one of a kind designs!

how_to_organize_your_kids_clothes

Get them here:

Girls clothing labels 1, Girls clothing labels 2Girls clothing labels 3,

Boys clothing labels 1Boys clothing labels 2

Because inquiring minds want to know: These designs are original from The Handmade Home. Made from scratch with a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

As always, let us know if you have any questions – We hope you can use them + have an inspired day!

This entry was posted in for kids, freebies. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to how to organize kids’ clothing

1. laura says:

Happy New Year! Ah the organizing bug needs to set in here! I love this idea! I agree the chaos of it is just almost too much sometimes. I think that is one of the most compelling arguments for kids rooms on the top floor behind closed doors!!:) haha!

Laura
    House Envy

2. I need to do this for my own clothes!! Haha! I can’t imagine what will happen when we have kids…just a frantic stuff everything in a basket like right now?! :P

3. emily says:

I kinda want these clothes for my real wardrobe.

Cute, cute, cute.

4. Mindy says:

First of all, I LOVE the tags! The pictures will be great for my pre-readers! Second, let’s talk laminators. I was a teacher for 10 years, and I just started homeschooling my kids in December. I quickly realized I don’t know how to teach without a laminator. (How is a girl supposed to make a Weather Bear without a laminator? And don’t even get me started on the glories of Dry Erase on lamination…) So last Friday I ordered this one from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Thermal-Laminator-Roller-TL901/dp/B0010JEJPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1389376425&sr=1-1&keywords=scotch+laminator
    It is awesome! I used a professional grade laminator for 10 years while teaching, and I like this one better! It was only $19 when I ordered it, but it is totally worth $28 too. Bite the bullet and DO IT! Life-changing, I say ;-)

5. I love this idea Ashley – we definitely struggle with keeping our clothing organized – I think a purge is in order first and then some nice tidy labeled drawers and bins. Thanks for sharing it!

6. Elisabeth says:

These are great!! I’m an occupational therapist so I can see the potential with people with disabilities/low reading skills too…(Particularly autism…). I actually did something similiar a while back to try to help my brother (who has autism) get all his clothes in the right drawers. Mine were not as pretty as these, though! Of course, I think my brother just really doesn’t care if his stuff is neat so no matter how many systems we try it just doesn’t work. Lol. I kinda want these for myself…

7. Leslie says:

Thank you! You just made life easier at our house! They are adorable!

8. Kristin Jayne says:

I’m gonna use these for my husband.

9. Lisa says:

What an awesome idea! You’re so creative :-) One “beef” I have is the word undies…gosh darn that word bothers me to no end. My kids, however, LOVE that word and they say it just to drive me nuts. I will definitely be printing that one for them and them alone :-) Thanks so much!

10. Adrienne says:

Thank you for taking the time to make and share these! We are moving to a new house, and I can’t wait to get these in use in my boys’ room!

11. Pingback: Some Serious Closet Organization – and a $325 Home Goods and Lallitara Tote Giveaway | The Happy Housie

12. victoria g says:

CUUUUUTE! Thanks!

13. Very Nice tips for organizing kids room. These will also help the kid in making the habit of doing all the work in an organized way.

14. bri says:

These are amazing, and not only do they help me get my son (hes 3) to pick out and put away his clothes, they are pretty, and my husband doesn’t destroy everything when he goes to find something

15. Jen says:

I adore these! The graphic is just precious. I just printed out for my boy/girl twins and laminated. The long sleeve boy shirt didn’t seem to be in the .pdf. Is there any chance you would consider loading it up?

I’m so excited – thank you!

16. amber says:

this is EXACTLY what i have been looking for – but even cuter than i imagined. thanks for creating and sharing.

someone else mentioned the scotch thermal laminator – i have had one for three years. love it! no complaints. worth the $30 or less pricetag!

17. Lizzie says:

Thanks so much! I’ve been looking for something like this to help our toddlers where their clothes go. If you ever do an update, cold you do a long sleeve shirt label for boys (there’s a button down and a short sleeve but alas no long sleeve.) I bit the bullet and bought a laminator years ago – so many good projects have come from it – I highly recommend it!!!

18. amber says:

Oh these are great! I’m printing these out now. I like your labels for the “socks” and “tights” but I’m tempted to label out the socks more specifically as I was looking for labels for the over-the-door pocket organizer where I currently have the girls socks. I have a row of pockets for each of my 3 girls. I separate their crew socks, sunday socks, tube socks, no-show socks, and low-cut socks. I’m sure your time is limited but you wouldn’t consider making more categories for socks would you? I’m trying to make my own but of course they don’t match yours exactly and they are just not as cute!

19. ashlea says:

love these! thanks!

20. nolitha says:

Hi

I am looking for a kiddies’clothing maker/designer. I love ypur work and got inspired.

21. Brittany says:

I used these in my kiddos’ closet and I love them! All of my kids share one closet, so making sure they each knew where their stuff goes is key, and your pretty pictures make it even more fun :) I actually stopped over to let you know I just posted a blog post about using your printables to organize the closet. I’d love it if you’d stop by and see!

22. Rebecca Rouse says:

Thanks so much for sharing these : ) Any chance you’re having a baby soon and need to do a few for bibs and onesies ; )

23. Jillian says:

These are perfect and adorable! Just what i needed to help organize my boys closets and keep them on it too. Thank you so much for sharing the printable! Do you have any toy bin labels too?

24. Fatma says:

These are wonderful. Thank you!