new space reveal : a big girl room redo

When my college friend, Jennifer, contacted me about doing her daughter’s room for her birthday, I was more than thrilled.

Kids rooms are kinda my favorite thing to do.

Sweet Peyton was turning nine, and she was ready for a more grown-up kind of look. She was ready to move away from the hot pinks and the purples, and into some more sophisticated color schemes, while keeping the entire look young, carefree, smart, and fun. Something she can grow into, for years to come.

We had a blast working on it, and I think everyone is kind of thrilled with the result.

Jennifer has a great eye. She totally found these knobs at world market, {I KNOW, right?!} And the awesome rug came from Target.

a revamped industrial stool serves as an excellent side table.

chandy: from Lowe’s.

old degas paintings scattered about the room give the space a feminine appeal.

bonus: the duvet is reversible, for when she tires of the stripes!

Jennifer already had this awesome bucket for toy storage. Adore the shots of deep peacock blue and teal.

The casters on this truly old piece add a touch of charm to the room.

shots of color carried throughout the space keep it fresh.

Peyton has a fabulous collection of vintage books. They make instant areas of interest in decor.

On the deats:

We found this bed at JCPenney. Jennifer really wanted Peyton to have a fun daybed with a trundle. Usually these puppies can get a little pricey, so we were thrilled to find it here at a reasonable price. Peyton is at the age when slumber partays are all the rage (oh, how i remember the days) so this bed just really fits the bill as a major space saver in contrast with before, and it has room for a guest.

All of the bedding was sewn from fabric we found at fabric.com. Based loosely on an amy butler pattern. {a note on fabric.com: you can send it back if you don’t like it. It usually ships for free, and always use retail me not for some moolah off the original price.} It was sewn together oh-so-wonderfully, by Jennifer and her Mother in Law.

The color on the walls is Benjamin Moore’s Glass Slipper. A lovely gray with a hint of blue…with the perfect title to boot.

Click here, to see how the memo board was built.

The rest of the furniture in the room was refinished by Jamin and myself. The vanity doubles as the perfect little study area…something she will enjoy for years to come…and the curtains were once again, sewn by the oh-so-talented Jennifer. Notice how we took em down?

Read more on the frame, here.

Thanks for checking in! I think everyone was super pleased with this space.

Most importantly, so was Peyton!

{completely unrelated side note: I’ve officially bitten the bullet and admitted that having my comments open is probably better after having them closed for a year…so, feel free to leave one below and let me know you stopped by! We love hearing from all of you!}

[pinit]

This entry was posted in bungalow revamps. Bookmark the permalink.

[pinit]

78 Responses to new space reveal : a big girl room redo

1. Such a great room! I love the eclectic mix of colors, patterns, vintage and new.

• sharon mccullough says:

I do not have a website, but let me say that all of your creativity is FABULOUS!!!!!!!! So very pretty and fresh.. I LOVE it all. Cudos to you. Where ever did you find the big floral rug? I love it all and you done a GREAT job. Keep it up. Sharon in Rural Hall North Carolina

2. Peggy Malone says:

Wow! What a difference in the "before" and "after"! You did an amazing job! I love it!

3. Jennifer says:

Eeeeeeee!!! Love the pics!! Can't wait to start the kitchen ;)

4. Jackie says:

Absolutely love the bedroom. The fabrics, colors, furniture etc is such a refreshing change. Great work!

5. Deborah Stubblefield says:

It turned out great! I am still working on pillows for the bed…….it won't be long now, though! Beautiful pics. Good Job! Peyton just loved it.

6. Peyton says:

Thank you ms ashley. I really love my new room. It was the best birthday present of my whole life!

7. Kellie says:

I love this!! What a wonderful job by all of you!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Sandra says:

Love this room! Love that blue and cream dresser! I'm drooling actually!

9. Ashley I LOVE this space. I love, love, love the fabrics and the furniture and the overall feel. I seriously would live in that room in a heartbeat. I'm working on my 3 year old's room right now – so much fun to do kiddie rooms! Girl you are SO talented. Glad we are blog buddies. :)

10. Jamey says:

You can hear a chorus of angelic "ahhhhhh" singing when you look at the great fabrics!

11. Kara says:

This is awesome! I really love it! Mad skillz yo!

12. Brittany says:

I absolutely LOVE this room! I can't stop going through the pictures! I especially love all the different materials you used in the quilt. Any chance you have notes on which fabrics those are from Fabric.com? :)

13. Ashley, this room is SO gorgeous!! I'd love it for my own…not sure how the hubs would feel about all the floral, though. ha ha GREAT job!

14. Rebecca says:

Ah. MA. ZING.

15. Andrea M says:

ASHLEY! This truly is amazing. I love your taste in color. SERIOUSLY wish you could pass some of that talent on over this way.

16. Jillina says:

Love this sweet room! What a perfect space for a 9 yr old girl!! Love all the fabric choices, heather bailey?

17. Sharon says:

I am Peyton's Lovey, Jennifer's Mom. I was at Peyton's the weekend before and saw all of the fabric and of course Jennifer was telling me all about what it would look like. I am sad to say, I do not have Jennifer's eye, I could not imagine how it was all going to turn out….I LOVE IT! What a fantastic job! Peyton is so excited and that is the best part.

18. Katie says:

Gorgeous room! I am drooling over it! Great work!

19. Julie says:

I have been searching for a yellow damask-ish fabric like that for a year! I couldn't find it at fabric.com. Could you possibly send me a link? Love the room!

20. Tiffany Smith says:

I love the room! I have been eyeing that rug at Target and just know it will come home with me some day. Do you happen to know the name of the fabric on the pillow on the vanity chair?

21. That is so darling! I love, love, love the fabrics! And I have the same rug from Target….cute in a girl's room!

22. Tara says:

I too would love to know the names of the fabrics from fabric.com that you used. They're fabulous!

23. Christie says:

I love the room! Where is that gorgeous striped duvet from?

24. jen says:

what is the name of the yellow fabric? is it Premier Prints?

25. Kellie says:

This looks fabulous!

26. ashley @ pure + lovely says:
  27. Meg says:

I'm loving this room! I'm in the middle of re-thinking my almost 8 year old daughters room. I love the brightness of this room! All the fabric is wonderful! I think that I must have the rug, drapes and bedding in my daugthers room too! Thank you for sharing your talent. It's beautiful!

28. Pingback: Pops of Color

29. renee says:

hi there! this is a BEAUTIFUL use of color!! where are the curtains from? i tried the link above but it wasn’t working. THANKS! -renee

30. What a transformation! I have to say my favorite part is the reversible duvet. The stripes & the script are the perfect combo!

31. Karri says:

Oh wow. Absolutely gorgeous. Stunning!

32. Jaime Scott says:

I liked you on facebook!

33. Jaime Scott says:

I follow you on twitter now.

34. Erin Leigh says:

can you come over?!?!? this is the bedroom of my dreams! Love it!

35. I absolutely adore this room. I especially love the curtains and the bedding… and the rug… I have that rug in a smaller size in my entry way. LOVE it!!!

36. I absolutely adore this room!! I especially love the curtains and the bedding… and the rug… I have that rug in a smaller size in my entry way! LOVE it!!

37. paige says:

grand slam baby!!
    love every single element in this room!!!!
    wow!!

38. Alissa says:

I love that rug. My dining room has red walls with white wainscoting and I am thinking it may be just the thing. The old rug is worn and never really tied into the red walls. Now just have to convince my husband:)

39. Rachel says:

Fabulous big girl room.

40. Sue says:

I LOVE THIS! Now I want to redo my girls’ room! (Don’t tell my husband because I just talked him into doing the living area. I’ll let him know when that HUGE project is done! = D ) Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

41. jessica kiehn says:

Oh MY! This is PERFECT!
    Where or where did you find those curtains? I’m sure you sewed them…Where is that fabric? It’s EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for!

42. Lindsey says:

Love the yellow curtains! If someone can please tell me the fabric that would be AWESOME! Thanks!

• hey LIndsey! sorry for the slow reply. I have it listed elsewhere on the site, and need to link all of this, but search fabric.com for premier prints. you will see different versions pop up in yellow. ;) hope that helps!

43. Alisha says:

Yay! Yay! Yay! Thank you so much! Since I have already done the pink thing in Gracie’s room I was feeling a little lost on what to do in Emma’s room. I absolutely love how soft and feminine this room is and it’s not pink! It’s even better than I remembered it! Hoping to transform her green unisex nursery into a girly room soon… or at least when she starts sleeping a little better. Thanks for sharing all of your awesome talent with all if us!

44. Leanne says:

gosh i love this room! that fabric goes sooo well with that rug! and those curtains? those are some happy curtains. love. love. love! :)

45. Andrea says:

I just saw this pinned on Pinterest and I LOVE it! I might want to try to incorporate some of that bedding in our master bedroom (which is pretty much a blank slate right now, save some darkish-blue curtains we already have). Looking forward to perusing your blog a bit more!

46. January Alexander says:

This room is amazing! You are so inspiring!

47. Shabree says:

Looing for that flowered fabric! I have looked all over fabric.com and I found all the rest. Any help? Thanks

48. Peggy says:

Ashley, just “found” you through “Nate Berkus” show! LOVE all I’ve looked at so far. We’ve just retired from CT to SC and love decorating our “new to us” Low Country, home. Also our kids in TX just moved to a new home there and I’m anxious to help decorate my 8 year old granddaughters’s new room, so Payton’s room is a real inspiration!!

49. Brittney says:

Beautiful room! I love the patterns on the quilt! :)

50. Kyla F says:

Number 1: I am obsessed with your website and all of your fabulous creations! I found you yesterday and am truly inspired!
    Number 2: I would pay a million dollars (if my poor college-girl budget allowed) for that bedding. I asked for a sewing machine for christmas (fingers crossed!) and I would love to replicate that as closely as possible. I know the fabrics are probably sold out by now because it was earlier in the year, but any advice/names/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

51. Rozi says:

Love love love this room and love those curtains so much. Any chance you could provide the link or name of the fabric? I tried searching under premier prints on fabric.com but haven’t found anything.

52. jenn koehler says:

Hello!

What a great mix of textures and colors in this room! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stool! Any chance of sharing where or how you did this???? I need two for my little guy’s room!!!!! LOVE it!

Jenn Koehler

• Hi Jenn! I scored a series of those at a flea market-two are in our home now, one in that room, and another at a friend’s house. So they were vintage and came looking like that. I then painted over them, as their tops were already stripped. Easy peasy. If you find one, or decide to paint a stool, I’ll be glad to help you out. Hope that helps!

53. Cristina says:

Very lovely room! Would you adopt me?
    XOXO,
    Cris

54. Cyndi says:

I love this room and so does my daughter! Did you paint the furniture? Do you explain how you paint your furniture anywhere on your blog? I’ve searched but can’t find anything. Thanks so much!! You inspire me! :)

55. Wendy says:

This room is adorable! you did a wonderful job! I am a yellow lover and I love the fabric on your curtains. I saw that a previous person asked where you got the fabric, but I couldn’t find it in the link you provided, it only shows pictures of doors and other areas. I possible for you, I would appreciate the info. Thanks! :)

56. Kristin Schmidt says:

I am so curious about the crib mattress on the wall. Or at least that is what I think it is. I am the worst designer/decorator ever! I saw this and have an old crib in my garage. I am attempting to decorate a room for my 16 month old girl, a shared room for my 4 year old boys and an adult space for my husband and myself.
    Could you please let me in on the secret of the mattress springs?!
    You are such an amazing designer, I wish you could do my whole house!

57. I saw you on Nate’s show and fell in love with you and your talent! I am a grandmother with two of the most wonderfully delightful grandchildren. Now for my question would you mind telling me what camera you use for your blog? My daughter is trying to start her own blog (much different than than yours — her talents lie elsewhere) and everyone is telling her she needs to buy a Cannon D Mark 2. It is very expensive. So I thought I would ask you, in hopes you would let me know.
    Isn’t it sad about Nate being cancelled? I adore that boy! I will continue to check your blog and marvel at your talent and sticktoitiveness! Thank you!

• Hey Barbara! Thanks so much for dropping by! I have a Canon 60 D and from what I can tell, it’s about half the price. ;} It’s all she should need for what she wants to do. Mine performs wonderfully, and I’m still learning all about it. She really needs to learn to shoot on Manual if she’s going to invest in something like that…you can read more about our camera, here! ;} As our photog friend always says, put your money in glass! {the lenses} Hope that helps!

58. Pingback: Sweet Little or "Big" Girl Bedrooms

59. Amanda says:

Love! Any tips on how you painted th stool? Thanks :)

60. Beja Foster says:

Love this room! Our worlds collide in so many ways! We both have the 08.10.2002 wedding anniversary, we each have a Peyton (mine’s a 9 year old boy), and I have this Target rug in my office!

Love your blog, and I have downloaded the e-book and am slowly learning to use my saws!

Thanks for sharing your world!

61. Pingback: summer tour of homes : the handmade home | the handmade home

62. Sandra Cramer says:

I just love what you have done in this room! It’s so happy and bright. I’ve been looking for fabrics just like these. I found the floral inspiration fabric on fabric.com but was hoping you could share the names of the other fabrics that your used for the quilt and pillows. Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Hey Sandra! I’m afraid that this project is over two years old, and I simply do not remember – this was before I was better at things like that. Do search for premier prints on fabric.com… it should help you get a great start. I’m sorry about that!

• Judy says:

Re: Sandra’s question about fabrics in this room, I sewed up the large scale floral ( the big pillows, and in the quilt), too. I got the fabric at Hancock Fabrics. It was drapery and sewed up nice. It was kind of expensive for my budget ( approx $30/yd) so I had to wait and beat it down as low as possible w/ a 50 percent off coupon plus a sr. discount. Be sure to get enough to allow for pattern repeat if piecing it to make it wider. Hope this helps. Judy

• Judy says:

Sorry, I think I may have mistated my earlier comment regarding the floral fabric in the room. Wasn’t trying to infer I did anynsewing for THIS room. I chose the same pattern for two big pillows for my family room sofa and liked it so much I went back and bought more for a big tablecloth (at least it seemed big when I hemmed it!)
        Sorry for the misleading wording earlier. It’ the middle of the night here and I’m reading the blogs!

63. Thanks for sharing the link on how the upcycled crib springs were framed into an inspiration board! I am looking for a creative way to make a storyboard to plot out an upcoming novel and I just happen to have a crib spring. I initially tried holding it up against the wall, but hated how the outer edge was going to look. The idea to create a frame with MDF and then wrap it is an excellent touch. Thank you so much for sharing the photos and the “how-to’s”!